For our 5 year anniversary, Midoricon wants to give back in a big way. So this year, two lucky convention attendees will experiencing the getaway of a lifetime: a week in Tokyo, Japan! That’s right! If you’ve ever wanted to visit Pokémon Center Mega Tokyo, the Studio Ghibli Museum, or experience the striking street fashion of Shibuya, this is your chance to win the ultimate prize!
Midoricon will cover all travel and accommodation expenses for the winner and a friend to Tokyo for 6 nights and 7 days (not including the hours spent on the flight, which may increase a day or two to your overall trip, so please plan accordingly!). We will arrange for the flight to leave a major airport accessible to you. We will also cover the cost of lodging. Please note that it is up to you to arrange for meal costs, fare for getting around the city, and tickets or entry fees for any sightseeing you plan to do! We will make all flight and accommodation purchases according to the winner’s schedule, allotting for enough time to get a passport if needed, time off of work, etc.!
The winner will be announced on September 12th on our Facebook! Be sure to ‘Like’ and, to catch relevant updates, under ‘Like’ select ‘All On’ under Notifications!
How To Win
We’re a convention that really values creativity and originality. Maumee Bay is an idyllic, picturesque destination for cosplayers and photographers alike, and we want to inspire everyone live out their favorite fandoms. Before we unleash the real experience in September, with anime-themed Beach Parties, Amphitheater Performances (like our one-of-a-kind Rave by the beach!), live-action Mario Karts, and Pokemon fun galore, we figured we’d extend the fun by giving you a creative summer project… With the possibility of winning big!
So, here’s your challenge: Capture a Pokémon in their Natural Habitat.
Sounds impossible? Not so! We’ll break it down for you.
First, pick a Pokemon. Just one (we know, we know - it’s an overwhelming decision!). Now, here’s the fun part. Imagine this Pokemon in its natural habitat, whether it be in tall grasses or outer space, imagine your Pokemon where they would go to feel natural and happy. Then bring this image to life in some way, in any way you choose to. Pose in your gijinka cosplay, make tiny Digletts out of popsicle sticks and stick them in your garden, draw a picture - limitless possibilities! Please do not feel as if you will require fancy equipment or a lot of artistic talent to win, you’re not out of luck if you don’t own a DSLR or an expensive cosplay! Read what we’re looking for under “Judging Criteria.”
There are stipulations, though, so you MUST closely follow all guidelines outlined below to enter or you will not be considered!
How To Enter
Your final entry must be in digital image format (or animated .gif). This image must be 100% original. We will trace back all entries with our handy resources, and if we find anything in the image has been stolen, you will be disqualified. We will only consider tasteful submissions, so no nudity or mature content, no gore, no violations that would have your image reported on social media. Once you’ve met this criteria, you’ll need to take the following steps:
1. Pre-Register for Midoricon. You do need to register for Midoricon to participate! If our chosen winner has not registered by August 1st, we will choose another. We do suggest registering as soon as possible, however; we are a smaller convention and cap attendance at 2,000. If we reach that pre-registration number, the contest will end prematurely!
2. Format your entry. You will need some type of photo editor to do the following, but don’t worry if MS Paint or free online software is all you have (use pixlr or picozu for free online photo editing)! Here's how:
- Crop and/or resize the image to 600 x 600 pixels. If you’re not sure how to do this, or any of the following steps, you can also use this template as your guide.
- Save our banner.
- Create a new layer or just copy and paste the banner, and set it over the top or bottom of your image. Yes, this will conceal some your image (150 pixels to be exact)! Please keep this in mind before uploading. You’ll want to figure out where to put some negative space to crop out entirely or cover.
- Here’s an example of the perfect format, and what your image should look like (the banner can be above or below in placement):
3. Share on social media. The more platforms you share on, the higher your chances of winning! More points will count toward you for putting in the extra effort.
- Upload your image to Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter and/or Instagram. You can share your entry everywhere, of course, but these are the only websites we will use to find your entry.
- The image MUST contain these 5 tags (unless you max the Twitter limit): #midoricon, #midoriconjapancontest, #pokemon, #anime convention, and #YOURPOKEMON (obviously change YOURPOKEMON to Jigglypuff or Charmander etc.).
- Add a small blurb about Midoricon. (If there’s space left for Twitter users, anyway), tell everyone what you’re most excited about, or what you’ve enjoyed most in past years!
- (Optional) Add some information about your piece, as little or as much as you want to.
And you’re set!
Creativity (10 possible points): We want originality! Pick a rare Pokemon and feature what makes them special, or pick a common Pokemon and do something no one would have ever considered! Go green and make a completely upcycled scene. Try a new art form, or implement a rarer talent.
Heart (8 possible points): Honor a Pokemon that means a lot to you, who you identify with. Make us feel a little - or a lot of - something. Move your audience with a squee or a tear, provoke their thoughts - remember, this is art!
Skill (4 possible points): Nice photo composition, admirable cosplay skill, or lots of thoughtful and creative details. Put in a little bit of time and effort. Even if you don’t win, you’ll have accomplished something you can be truly proud of!
Social Media Shares (4 possible points): Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter & Instagram. Share on all 4, get all 4 points! Make sure you put in all the tags (you were able to fit - Twitter, looking at you!), or you will lose points.
= 24 Total.
Our staff will then take all the highest scores, from 18 to 24, and vote on their favorite.
Have more questions? We’ll try to cover them here!
Yes, any Exhibitors (Artists and Vendors) & Volunteers can participate.
No, Staff may not. They are your judges.
No, we will not give free trips to a group of you if your entry is the product of a group effort - one winner, one friend.
Yes, we do reserve the right to retract the trip from Japan offer, and ONLY if, we do not reach at least 800 entries. In this event, a winner will still be chosen for a large cash prize. By doing your part to create and spread your image, you are helping us meet the required number of submissions!
Please tell your friends! Get the word out about the contest, and about our convention!
Anything we have not covered may be asked on our Facebook page.
Best of luck! Take the first step to winning this once in a lifetime prize by pre-registering now! To preserve our harmonious community atmosphere, space is limited!